The Digital Rocks Portal was released in 2015.
Our mission is to:
• Organize and preserve images and related experimental measurements of different porous materials,
• Improve access to them for a wider community of geosciences and engineering researchers not necessarily trained in computer science or data analysis, and thus
• Enhance productivity and enable scientific inquiry and engineering decisions founded on a data-driven basis.
The portal is managed by Dr Masa Prodanovic, at the Department of Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering, and uses computing resources from the University of Texas System Research Cyberinfrastructure and the Texas Advanced Computing Center at the University of Texas at Austin.
Current team (as of November 2017) includes Dr. Maria Esteva (data curation), Josue Balandrano Coronel (project implementation), Linli Ding (data curation and project administration) and Dr. Chris Landry (advanced algorithms for image analysis).
Past team members: Mary Pettengil, Matthew Hanlon, Ashvini Venkatesh, Aditi Ranganath, Prateel Agarwal, Gaurav Nanda, Andrew Magil.
To reference this portal in any form of publication, please use the following citation:
Masa Prodanovic, Maria Esteva, Matthew Hanlon, Gaurav Nanda, Prateek Agarwal (2015) Digital Rocks Portal: a repository for porous media images http://dx.doi.org/10.17612/P7CC7K
We are member of the EarthCube Council of Data Facilities.
We are registered in Registry of Research Data Repositories.
We are a registered data repository for Geosciences Data Journal.
We are currently funded by NSF EarthCube IA 1541008. Foundational development of this portal was obtained through the National Science Foundation, NSF EAR CAREER grant 1255622 "Advanced interface methods in heterogeneous porous materials: a multi-disciplinary and multi-scale framework." Additional support was provided by the Texas Advanced Computing Center and the Department of Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering.
Please use this form to provide feedback (anonymous, if desired).
List of presentations:
16. "Exemplifying digital rocks portal data management, visualization and simulation apability through a rough fracture permeability study", C. Landry, A. Tokan-Lawal, P. Eichhubl, M. Prodanovic, M. Esteva, R. Ketcham, Tomography for Scientific Advancement (ToSCA) conference, Austin, TX, June 8, 2017
15. “Digital Rocks Portal: a Sustainable Platform for Sharing, Translation, and Analysis of Volumetric Data of Porous Media”, R. Verma, Josue B. Balandrano, M. Prodanovic, M. Esteva and R. Ketcham, Poster and demo, EarthCube All Hands Meeting, Seattle, WA, June 8, 2017
14. "Imagining and developing infrastructure for data-driven geosciences and engineering research and education", M. Esteva, CARIUSA, Kingston, Jamaica, March 2017
13. “Digital Rocks Portal: Preservation, Sharing, Remote Visualization and Automated Analysis of Imaged Datasets”, poster presentation H51B-1443 in Moscone South Poster Hall, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, Friday, Dec 16, 2017, 8-noon.
12. "Managing, Analyzing and Publishing Data with Digital Rocks Portal", Maša Prodanović, Maria Esteva and Mary Pettengill, workshop, San Francisco Marriott Marquis, 780 Mission Street - Yerba Buena Salon 1, San Francisco, CA, Dec 15 2016, 8-10am. Materials:
11. "Digital Rocks Portal Live Demo", 3pm, Dec 15, 2016, NSF Earthcube Booth, Exhibition Hall, AGU Fall meeting.
10. “Digital Rocks Portal: preservation, sharing, and automated analysis of imaged datasets”, C. Landry, Formation Evaluation Industry Consortium, University of Texas at Austin, August 16, 2016
9. “Digital Rocks Portal: sustainable platform for imaged dataset sharing, preservation and automated analysis”, M. Prodanovic, Poster and demo, EarthCube All Hands Meeting, Denver, CO, July 7, 2016
8. “Digital rocks physics: true-to-geometry modeling of porous media”, M. Prodanovic, Petroleum Engineering Summer School Workshop 41, Dubrovnik, Croatia, June 7-10, 2016
7. “Digital Rocks Portal: an open repository for sharing, automated translation, and analysis of volumetric images”, M. Hanlon, Open Repositories 2016 Conference, Dublin, Ireland, June 14, 2016
6. “Digital Rocks Portal: sustainable platform for imaged dataset sharing, preservation and automated analysis”, M. Prodanovic, 2nd Annual UT Digital Preservation Symposium, University of Texas at Austin, April 29, 2016
5. “Digital Rocks Portal: a sustainable platform for imaged dataset sharing, translation and automated analysis”, M. Prodanovic, Chemical EOR Industry Consortium, University of Texas at Austin, April 25, 2014
4. “Digital Rocks Portal: a sustainable platform for imaged dataset sharing and image-based simulation”, M. Prodanovic, TCAT Workshop, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Jan 13, 2016
3. “Digital Rocks Portal: a sustainable platform for imaged dataset sharing, translation and automated analysis”, M. Prodanovic, Invited oral presentation, minisymposium MR43A-02, AGU Fall Meeting, Dec 2015, San Francisco, CA
2. “Digital Rocks Portal: a sustainable platform for imaged dataset sharing and scientific cross-validation”, M. Prodanovic, DOE Workshop on Digital Rocks Physics and 3D Printing, Aug 3, 2015, Santa Fe, NM
1. "Digital Rocks Portal for Fast Storage and Retrieval of Porous Microstructure Images." J. Rigelo. Presentation in Minisymposium MS27 “Combining Experiment, Theory and Computation to Improve Multiscale Understanding of Porous Medium Systems”, SIAM Conference on Mathematical & Computational Issues in the Geosciences. June 29 – July 2, 2015